Chef Dario’s hearty soul warming recipe for Chicken Broth with Pearl Barley, Soy Beans and Kale, is just the thing to warm the heart, soul and tummy over these cold months.
With fresh hearty ingredients you’ll create a deliciously tasty meal full of flavour!
- 1.5 litres of Good Stock (Chicken or Vegetable)
- About 1 Glass of White Wine (if desired)
- 400g Chicken Thighs (Boneless)
- 100g Pearl Barley
- 1 Large White Onion
- 3 Large Carrots
- 4 Large Sticks of Celery
- 4 or 5 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 200g Frozen Soy Beans
- 250g Kale
- Firstly, prepare the carrots and celery by cutting it roughly into 1cm chunks. Roughly dice the onion
- Next, heat about 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large stock pot and add the onions. Once nicely softened, add the chicken thighs and brown them off.
- Add the wine as well as the Stock, Pearl Barley, Carrots, Celery and Thyme.
- Bring this all to the boil and then allow it to simmer gently for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the pearl barley is almost tender.
- Then add the soy beans and the kale and give it 5 or 10 minutes on the low heat to soften them both.